Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
WELCOME HOME: AN ANTHOLOGY ON LOVE AND ADOPTION features stories by some of the best voices in YA literature (or at least some of my favorites), and the stories revolve around adoption in all of its forms. Edited by Eric Smith, the collection covers a range of genres, and they're beautifully jarring in ways that are as diverse as their characters. What doesn't change from story to story is the search for love, acceptance, and Home--whatever that means--and while these are adoption stories, I think they will resonate with readers of all ages and backgrounds. Ultimately, we're all looking for a place to call home, but some paths are different than others. WELCOME HOME's shifting perspectives and eclectic characters ensure that every reader will make a connection somewhere in the collection.

Every single story in this anthology gave me some sort of gift as I read. Whether it was a character who will haunt me (hello, sweeet, broken Zeke from David Connis's "A Kingdom Bright and Burning") or the one with whom I felt a bond (CJ Redwine's Bellana--the lover of stories), I felt a connection with almost all of the people I met in the pages of this book. There were also gorgeous lines that resonated for many reasons. In "Peace of Paper," for example, Courtney Stevens summarized my approach to taking on my non-biological sons and daughters in "Some kids aren't born to you. Some kids just arrive." That's just one line... there are many more for readers to gather and contemplate long after the book is done.

Not every story in WELCOME HOME is perfect, but there are some exquisite ones here. I highly recommend this anthology to adopters and adoptees, to anyone who knows someone involved in adoption in any way, to those who are looking for a home, and to all lovers of good stories. This collection definitely has something for everyone.

My thanks to Eric Smith for a copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.
Good Points
An anthology that has something for everyone
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account