N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by skin deep

Scott Westerfeld, the author for the novel Uglies, introduces a society thats located in the future. This utopia is unique, for when your sweet sixteen swings by, you dont just get a party, but a whole new face. On everyones sixteenth birthday, they go through a complicated surgery that makes them a Pretty. However, before you turn into a Pretty, youre known as an Ugly living across the river, staring at the tall, bright buildings, while the music blares all night long. Your childhood years seem like they get wasted as you patiently wait for the big day.
Seems like a great place, right? You get to be super model gorgeous, party at all hours, and sleep in all the time. Popularity and all the friends you need will be placed at your feet. Theres an endless supply of everything including clothes and bubbly bungee jackets that bounce you on the ground when you fall. There is just one catch, however. You are not given the choice of not turning Pretty.
Tally, like many fifteen-year-old Uglies, cant wait till her birthday. Since she has a late birthday, shes going to have one of the last operations for her year. This is where Shay comes in, another fifteen-year-old waiting for the operation. These two become close friends as the day nears. However, Shay is different. She runs away to the Smoke, a group of people who chose not to go through the surgery. Because of this, Tallys operation is delayed until she finds Shay and brings her back. This starts the long journey you take with Tally to find the Smoke and a mysterious David. As the book comes to a close, you really find out that beauty is only skin deep.
Scott Westerfeld introduces the idea of a utopia where you get to be beautiful, like everyone else, so there is no discrimination of being ugly. But if you really examine this concept, youll find you have no voice in whether you want your face to change. The theme in this book, in my opinion, would be transformation, on the outside as well as the inside. You change as you learn what goes on in this society. It really makes you think, whether you would go through this process, just to become pretty.
I, however, dont like the fact that Im not in charge of my life. Sure, the life seems great, but only at first. I want to make something of my life, no just be a bystander. In this society, a dream like that cant be possible.
So what do you say? Are you willing to pay the price of beauty?
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account