Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 116
Grumpy Meet Sunshine
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Most of the students view Vi as unapproachable and she almost uses their judgment of her as a shield to protect her ideals and values. She finds escape from the sexism and disappointment reality has to offer by playing an MMORPG called Twelfth Knight. It's based on Arthurian times and she slips into the role of one of her favorite characters from a popular show called War of Thorns. When she assumes the role of Cesario , everyone seeks out her help because she's excellent at the game. Here, she is needed and doesn't have to deal with people who don't like her for being a geek or opinionated.

Jack lives for football and following the legacy of his family. His father was an amazing quarterback and all Jack wants to do is make him proud. But when a late tackle lands him with an injured knee, he finds himself bored out of his mind. One of his friends suggests playing Twelfth Knight to occupy him time and cure his boredom. Especially since he won't be playing football any time soon and his girlfriend just broke up with him. During a battle, he decides to make an alliance with C354R10 who he discovers is someone who goes to his school. He realizes just how intriguing this game is and why his friend enjoyed it so much.

TWELFTH KNIGHT is a rom-com that's made for gamer nerds like me. I love how in a panic, Vi lies about who she is but quickly finds out she has more in common with Jack than she anticipates. This just adds to the tension between the two. The only thing I don't like his how Vi kind of treats everyone like she looks down on them. I know it isn't intentional because she feels like the world is against her, but it would be nice to see her be a bit more relatable as a gamer girl. I love Jack and how he's a well-rounded nice guy without needing much growth. He just needed to channel his inner geek.

Final Verdict: I would recommend this to fans of rom-coms, video games, King Arthur, grumpy meets sunshine, and humor. I enjoyed this and would love to see a game like it come out. It would be nice to have something new but at the same time it reminds me of Final Fantasy, which is a nice touch.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account