Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Adarlan’s Assassin: a strong-willed, defiant, and indefatigable young woman who maintains a tender heart in the face of incredible hardship. Hey, I can dig that. And in spite of comparisons to The Hunger Games, I think readers will find this new heroine and her world have a pull all their own. Celaena Sardothien, a former notorious assassin, has a past that is riddled with mystery and pain, and her future looks to be filled with much of the same as she enters a competition to become her worst enemy’s Champion and earn her freedom. But once the competition begins, the relationships that develop and the attacks that start plaguing the would-be Champions begin to complicate matters. Add to that a prince and a princess who have more than the status-quo up their sleeves, and you’ve got the recipe for a book that has more depth and intrigue than expected.

I enjoyed Celaena’s personality, in spite of her insistence on being as tough as possible and putting on a front when she doesn’t even need to. Her experiences and her skills are appealing to me since I am always pulled into the stories of those who defy their natural instincts and train their minds and bodies at a level that surpasses most of humankind just to survive. I like spy movies and other kinds of training detail in any story, because it mimics my experience as an athlete, and it's inspiring. Celaena’s determination and subsequent success and rewards because of it made the story about her journey to freedom more real. There were a few inconsistencies (how does Dorian, the Crown Prince, manage to sneak up on her over and over again without her noticing?), but overall these aspects of the story add a rawness that isn’t always present in other stories with a female heroine.

Celaena's relationship with Chaol Westfall, the Captain of the Guard, and with Nehemia Ytger, the Princess of Ellywe, developed so naturally and beautifully it made me love them each as much as Celaena eventually does—especially her friendship with Nehemia. It is rare to see a well-depicted female friendship between two strong characters, but Maas achieved it in their relationship with the fragility that is always present in new friendships. The friendship that develops between Celaena and Captain Westfall felt more natural because of the guard Celaena keeps up with him throughout. His softness and loyalty grew and grew as much on on me as it did on her as the story progressed. Her relationship with Dorian, the Prince of Adarlan, progressed too quickly, and was, at times, predictable. I found myself annoyed at the thoughts and feelings he would have for Celaena and the same way with her fondness of him—because it was kind of typical. He definitely adds some excitement to her life, however, and is a critical character for the plot’s development; I just wished their relationship would have been more guarded and slow to develop--that kind of relationship would have been more in line with Celeana's assasin-esque qualites.

The storyline is well-developed, with its rich history of Erilea and complex legends and mythology that create a multi-layered and rich world as the backdrop to Celaena’s story. When Celaena makes a critical discovery about halfway through the book, it built upon the plot even more and added the exact amount of extra mystery to keep me reading. I was even actually truly scared, something that rarely happens anymore when I read about villains and monsters in books. This is a page-turner that fans of fantasy will not want to miss.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 5 1

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
November 10, 2013
I've heard a lot of negative reactions to the romance, but pretty positive feelings towards the main character and the world. I think I'll still read this one even though I'm not particularly fond of unnecessary or badly done romance.
And is it just me, or does it seem like there were a lot more positive reviews after the paperback (and I think UK) cover came around?
1 results - showing 1 - 1