N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by Courtney

I loved this book. It is my favorite sarah Dessen book. What I loved about it was there is a great lesson in it. I am sure that when you read the back you are probably expecting the same thing but her work.as in all of her books she writing is so good, she is such a good author and my favorite. Her specality is to bring her characters alive like Remy (main character) is my best friend and that she is talking to me, and that is what I loved.

THIS LULLABY is the story of a girl who has grown up with a mother who takes on husbands "the way other people change their hair color: out of boredom, listlessness, or just feeling that this next one will fix everything, once and for all." Remy never knew her own father even, and all she has of him is the song, "This Lullaby," that he wrote one the road the day of her birth.

By the time she graduates from high school Remy has developed a careful schedual for all relationships she enters in to, and never allows any boy to get close to her heart, convinced that it is better to keep all guys at arms length so that they are unable to hurt her. Then, while planning her mother's fifth wedding, Remy meets Dexter, a boy who has so many qualities she dislikes. Though at first reluctant, Remy is eventually charmed by Dexter, who's shoelaces are always untied, and who insists on challenging people to do things such as eat ten bananas, or name more states than him before a specific lady is through picking up her dry-cleaning. Remy still believes that love is foolish, but Dexter helps her to learn otherwise.

As I said, the plot sounds quite cliche. However, it's a lot more complicated than all that, the writing is superb, the dialouge is at times very witty and entertaining, and this is an all around enjoyable book. I was completely engrossed, and reluctant to put it down even when I was in desperate need of something to eat. Towards the end I felt as though I couldn't read fast enough, and I felt a kind of ache in my chest because I was so drawn into the story. Definitely one of the best books I've read in the past year.

Recommended for readers ages 13+, mainly because some of the language may be inappropriate for those who are younger and more innocent. --
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account