Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Tyler didn't 'fit' in with Opportunity, Alabama but no-one knew just what he'd do that fateful day. THIS IS WHERE IT ENDS is a gut-wrenching tale of a school shooting shown through the eyes of those involved in some way with the shooter.

What worked: I have to make a confession. I was worried I might not be able to handle this story considering I lost my own sister Colette to gun violence in the 90s. But Nijkamp does a great job digging deep into what might set off someone to do such a horrific act of violence. We see not only the shooter Tyler but those personally connected to him. There's his ex-girlfriend Claire; his sister Autumn and her girl friend Sylvia, and finally Sylvia's brother Tomas. Readers get an inside view of how they are connected to Tyler. We feel their horror, guilt at not doing more, anger, and hatred. But there is not easy answer to the whys behind such a horrific act of violence.

I was teary eyed through most of this story. It's strong and doesn't flinch with the descriptions of what happens inside the auditorium. Kuddos to Nijkamp for peeling back the levels of a shooter without having him a caricature but rather a character with weaknesses and vulnerabilities. Even though his acts are despicable, readers get a glimpse behind the whys.

Quote from story:

Ty will still win if we give up now. If we live in fear.

Intense, gripping portrayal of not only a shooter but others around him. Kuddos for the author for peeling back what might otherwise be an one-dimensional killer. What leads up to the massacre is shown in haunting details. I thought I'd have a hard time reading this considering I lost my own sister to gun violence. THIS IS WHERE IT ENDS shows not only the hatred but the misunderstandings, hurt, pain, and sadness of a shooting.
Good Points
1. Gut-wrenching tale of a school shooting shown through the eyes of those involved in some way with the shooter
2. Had me teary-eyed at the end. Make sure to have tissues close by.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account