Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I'm a huge Tiffany Trent fan. When I was a Cybils panelist for the Sci-Fi/fantasy category I was able to read one of her nominated HALLOWMERE books. I was hooked. I was bummed when the last book in that series wasn't published after her then publisher folded. Then I heard her book THE UNNATURALISTS was picked up by Simon and Schuster. I was very excited to be able to read another one of her stories.

Let's just say the wait was worth it! Once again Trent delivers! Unique and totally engaging we are swept away to the alternative world of New London where magic is forbidden and punished by death. Vespa Nyx works in her father's museum of Unnatural History. There she studies creatures of magic that are hidden for display. Then her life turns topsy turvy with a chance encounter and a revelation that puts her life in danger.

I totally loved this fascinating world that Trent has created. What's unique is how magic is handled in New London. Here it's outlawed. Being a witch is punishable by death. The Unnatural creatures such as fairies and others are used to run New London in gruesome ways.

We also see New London through the eyes of a Tinker, someone who is in tune with the Unnatural creatures that live in the wild places. I usually don't care for two different points of view in a novel but Trent nails this. I love seeing this spellbounding world through both of the protagonist's eyes while experiencing the terror of witnessing their world being destroyed.

Vespa is a strong protagonist who doesn't swoon around a hawt guy. No she demands to do her own part to help after she finds out terrible revelations that affect not only her but New London too. Syrus is also strong especially after he witnesses the horror afflicted on his Tinker clan. He's not willing to back down even if this means he puts his own life in danger.

There's twists and turns throughout this story. More than once I cried out, "No way, I can't believe you did that!"

Trent creates a unique world that takes steampunk to a whole new level. She combines Sci-fi with fantasy and develops a rich alternative world readers will want to visit. I know I did!
Good Points
1. Great world building
2. Unique twist on steampunk tale
3. Engaging story
4. Love the twist on what happens to the magical creatures
5. Twists and turns
6. Love Tiffany Trent's writing!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account