Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I don’t actually read much fantasy novels because I visually enjoy the genre more than reading it but this book was such a delight to read. At first glance, I never thought that I would pick this book up because it feels a bit overwhelming. I have zero idea on Indian mythology but I have read from somewhere that this novel parallels Hades and Persephone so I gave this book a shot. Not to mention, my personal idea to widen the range of the books that I read.

The first thing that had me going with the book is the writing style. Chokshi’s writing is lyrical and poetic that it made the whole experience magical and surreal. Another thing I loved in this book is the chemistry, sizzling if I may say so, between Maya and Amar. I could honestly feel their emotions radiate from my reader and they never fail to make me smile. Their banter is one of the things to look forward to because it’s sweet yet snarky.

Maya’s journey is not that different from other heroines I have read before but I did feel that there is a certain strength in her personality, something that makes her unique. Her journey is more of a personal discovery and facing reality amidst the presence of magic and power.

Amar’s character development fell short but it had a great potential. He just seems a little flat for me, but I’m looking forward to seeing more of him. I’m just glad there’s going to be a next book! Same goes for Gupta and Kamala.

Overall, the book is written beautifully. It’s vibrant, enchanting, and poetic. I had a great time learning about Indian mythology. This book is perfect for fans of high-fantasy.
Good Points
Interesting mythology, excellent writing style,
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account