N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by Emma in West Virginia

As the story begins, two sophomore teens, John Conlan and Lorraine Jensen, begin telling us about themselves. John telling us that he was one of the trouble makers in freshman year of high school, Lorraine telling us about the first times John and her were together. All by playing a game on the telephone, they acquainted themselves with Mr. Angelo Pignati also known as the Pigman. Later they come to find that the Pigman collects pigs and so the friendship begins. 
     The book touches on various plots, and subplots. Its all mainly focused on John, Lorraine, and the Pigman along with the various adventures they have together. So one day when Lorraine played the telephone game she found herself on the phone with Angelo Pignati, not only did she feel bad because she felt that he sounded lonely, she felt bad for lying by saying she was Mrs. Truman and she was raising money for a charity fund. John urged her to go and she did on impulse. Arriving at the Pigmans home they collect the money and almost everyday after that they find themselves with the Pigman. Anywhere from meeting the meanest baboon named Bobo, or eating chocolate covered ants, they did it all. But after one night when the Pigman collapses after chasing John around the house and is hospitalized temporarily, John takes advantage of the house and invites his friends over. Lorraine has a bad feeling but she doesnt want to say anything to John. Later in the evening John finds one of his foes, Norton, in the Pigmans room full of pigs. Norton breaks one of the pigs and runs for the exit. Running after him John opens the door to find the Pigman standing wide-eyed on the steps.

After reading this book I felt like I should try harder to be a better person. I can understand how the children felt after the Pigman died, because Ive had loved ones die as well. It was well written with a lot of detail on every little issue. It teaches a lesson in life in the end. In my personal opinion I think teenagers should read this book. I think it will influence them in a positive way. 
     John and Lorraine were banished from the Pigmans home after the night of the party. On an afternoon John and Lorraine call the Pigman to apologize and ask him to meet up at the zoo. When the Pigman is fifteen minutes late, they figure he isnt go to show, but he does. The Pigman goes to the monkey cages and cant seem to find Bobo. After finding out that Bobo passed away, the Pigman collapsed and when this happened Lorraine knew the Pigman was dead. When the Pigman died, the children felt as if something died with them too. Lorraine feels as if John doesnt care, but truly he does. 
     Ending the book with the death of the Pigman was tragic, I felt as if something died with myself as well. After reading the book, you just become so attached to the characters, you feel as if you know them personally. Overall, there was always something that kept me turning the pages in the book. It didnt disappoint me like I expected it would. Like the saying goes, Never judge a book by its cover.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 1

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account