N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by Ashley in WV

In the town of Stapleton, John Conlan and Lorraine Jensen befriend a lonely old man they call Pigman. The Pigman is a story of two high school sophomores who make friends or take advantage of a kind old man, depending on how you view the story. It is a young adult book
       The story of the Pigman is complex tale of friendship, trust, and one lonely old man in need of a friend. When a telephone game leads John and Lorraine to the home of Mr. Angelo Pignati as charity workers to collect ten dollars from a friendly man they find that he is in need of a friend. However Mr. Pignati wants more from them than they from him, he wants company, and someone to talk to while his dear Conchetta is visiting family in California. Later on though the kids find the horrible piece of paper stating Conchetta isnt in California shes dead! The kids then decide to forget about the money and help this man, they are shown his collection of ceramic pigs; his only friend other than the two them, Bobo a baboon at the local zoo; and taken shopping with a credit card! When Mr. Pignati falls ill however things began to change, John and Lorraine decide to throw a party the night of Mr., Pignatis return. At the end of the night Conchettas clothing is destroyed, the pigs are broken, and the house is a mess. On top of all that the next time they visit the zoo Bobo has died. This is the final straw for the Pigman he dies at the zoo. Therefore John and Lorraine blame themselves for his death which is what persuaded them to write this memorial epic to start with.
      I liked The Pigman, I thought it was set in the late 70s and may have been out of date but dont stop reading it because you dont get the full affect unless you read it all. It wasnt my favorite book but it was a timeless lesson involved. I especially like when John and Lorraine dress in Conchettas and the Pigmans clothes and acted as though he was an actor and she a famous writer. I also liked when they were all roller skating around the house and acting as though no one had a care in the world. I think that as the story evolves the kids become the adult and Mr. Pignati becomes like their child while in the hospital. Also I think the author hints at some feelings and possible a relationship forming between John and Lorraine in the middle of the book. 
     In conclusion The Pigman is a three star classic full of mystery sadness and guilt of the Pigmans death. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading classics.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account