Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What I Loved: Nobody does world building like Julie Kagawa. Seriously. The world in the Iron Fey series is vivid, intricate, and all-encompassing. I especially loved the descriptions of the Iron Fey kingdom. The rules to Kagawa's world aren't hard to learn, and she sticks to them, which I appreciate.

I also really loved the characters. Ethan, the narrator (and YAY for another boy-POV book!), tugged at my heart even while I sometimes wanted to shake him. He definitely grew as a character throughout the book, and I loved watching him step to the plate and become, not only the hero of his own story, but the hero OTHERS needed him to be as well. I was equally fascinated by Kenzie. She was NOT your typical damsel in distress. Or your typical badass fighter. She wasn't your typical anything, and that made for a fun, refreshing story. We get to see a few of our fave characters from the Iron Fey series (Grimalkin! Puck! Ash! Little bit of Meghan!) and meet new, fascinating characters as well.

I was very interested and invested in this story from the start. Kagawa does an excellent job of making me care about both the mystery (A new kind of very dangerous fey? Sign me up!) and the inner emotional arcs of the characters. I read this in two days because I couldn't bear to wait any longer to find out how it ended.

What Left Me Wanting More:

Honestly, there isn't much I didn't love. My only wish would be to have a bit more action. This book is definitely a set up to a new series (And TRUST ME, Ethan is going to be a fabulous hero in this series. Can't wait.) and so Kagawa had a lot to accomplish in this book. I would've just loved a couple more high-tension fight scenes. Mostly because Ethan knows Kali. And can wield two swords at the same time like they're an extension of himself. You KNOW that's cool.

Final Verdict:

This is an engrossing story set in a vivid, dangerously beautiful world with a strong, tortured hero readers will want to cheer for. Fans of Kagawa, Melissa Marr, or Grimm's fairy tales will love this.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account