Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
If you're looking for a unique, thought provoking, yet creepy tale, this book is for you!

When I first started this book I was a bit confused. I wasn't quite sure what to make of the first few pages, but I'm sure glad I kept reading. Eva is a very unique character. She was stitched together by a Weaver to be an 'echo' of a girl named Amarra, an exact replica of her. She is not allowed to have her own dreams, her own goals, she has to essentially be Amarra. Eva has to learn everything Amarra learns, read everything Amarra writes, experience things Amarra does. Yet she is not allowed to just live her own life. How intense is that? Eva doesn’t want to just be Amarra’s echo, she wants to live, to be her own person. But if she does that she faces being unstitched, which essentially means she will no longer exist. I was completely sucked into this book. I could not imagine how horrific that would be to be created just to be someone’s replacement. *shutter*

I’m not giving anything away when I tell you that Amarra dies and Eva then has to live Amarra’s life. She has to make all Amarra’s friends and family believe she is Amarra, or she could be killed herself. I mean seriously, how stressful would that be?! I could not put this book down. I needed to know what happens to Eva. I absolutely loved the beginning of the book, where Eva is sort of living her own life. Well, she’s not free, but she hasn’t replaced Amarra yet. I loved her relationship with her caretaker, Mina Ma. What a beautiful relationship the two have. Mina Ma is like the southern grandma you always wanted. She is strict with Eva, yet loving, giving and kind. I also enjoyed Eva’s relationship with Sean. I loved how real their relationship was and I felt so sad when Eva had to leave them all to become Amarra. To make matters even worse, she wasn’t allowed to contact them at all. She was literally all on her own and had to leave her past life completely behind. The emotions this book brought out in me surprised me. I was so mad for Eva. How unfair her life was and she was treated so poorly because of what she was.

I enjoyed the twists in the book and didn’t see them coming at all. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I’m really looking forward to the second book. Great debut novel by Sangu Mandanna. I’m looking forward to reading her future books!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account