Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
After his ordeal in The Lost Prince, Ethan and Kenzie are back from Nevernever. A week has passed and though Ethan has accepted that They will come knocking soon, he is not ready for such a quick return. His family and Kenzie’s family are both upset at him and he is even forbidden to see her. But alas, Nevernever always pulls in the mortals with Sight – so when Kierran goes MIA, Ethan has to set out to find him since he knows about the deal he made with the Lady. Kierran on the other hand, has been searching high and low, dark and light for a way to stop Annwyl from Fading, and it this love that will bring about the prophesied war.

First of all, Kagawa writes brilliantly. I have said it before and I repeat myself – it is a virtual journey when you read her books. They are so real and you feel like you are there – watching from the sidelines and biting on your nails (gotta quit this bad habit by now) – all the way to the heart-wrenching cliffhanger. The whole Nevernever, Between and the real world – so well-described with all the different creatures; also, it hits the balance between description and plot movement right on the mark.

Ethan is a warrior, plain and simple. He has been since his childhood, when he came back from being kidnapped by the Iron King. He used to blame the Fey for taking away his sister, his sister for keeping her distance all these years – but when the prophecy is revealed to him, his blame shifts to Kierran. That change in dynamics between them would have made Ethan leave him, but he sticks with Kierran to the very end – even against better judgement, all because he is family. Kierran, on the other hand, is desperate and determined, dangerous for a person with the powers of all the three courts. He is difficult at most times and his decisions have a track record of leading him down the wrong road. An interesting contrast in this story was their respective relationships: both their girlfriends are dying and the way they handle them is so different. While Kierran is ready to make a deal with the devil to save her – whether she wants it or not, Ethan knows that she would rather just be with him and live out the rest of her life enjoying it. Kenzie and Annwyl are both fierce, maybe not warriors in the sense that they run out for a battle but their love and fearlessness. Both the pairs may not be on the list of my OTPs, but they are great in their own way.

While this is a spinoff I was happy for the return of characters from the Iron Fey. Grimalkin (yay!), Puck, Meghan and even Ash make an appearance and I love Kagawa for it. There are other characters, too, considering they are traipsing over Nevernever but it would be spoiler-y to mention. Overall, a beautiful book which overwhelms you with the feels – all the love, happiness, outrage, sadness and dread. Loved it!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account