Review Detail

4.7 43
Young Adult Fiction 672
I like the idea, but not the sappy love stuff...
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Okay, I like the concept. Point for that, Stephenie. I mean, seriously. Weird silver alien things that possess human beings and stuff? YES, I like it.

But the sappy love stuff? No. Just. No. It was more of that same old, same old, you know, in those horrible books where the girl doesn't do anything except obsess over the guy, who, let's face it, might be handsome but has a total lack of emotion. It was a little more interesting with the whole alien thing though... Anyway. I'll explain more later in this review.

So. Flash forward a bit into the future... And we meet these alien things called souls, who can't do anything themselves, but they can possess other bodies and take over their thoughts and stuff. We meet our main character, who doesn't really have a fixed name, but they call her Wanderer on Earth, because she's been through nine lives without settling down. Right now she's occupying a body of a human girl called Melanie.

What Wanderer doesn't expect is to encounter resistance, to hear Melanie's voice inside her. Melanie just doesn't want to back down. And through her, Wanderer learns of a human resistance, somewhere in the desert. She also learns of Jared, the guy who Melanie obsesses over, and Jamie, her little brother.

So flash forward maybe a hundred pages (I'm not kidding people, this book is six hundred pages long. Not one for the light-hearted.) and Wanderer has discovered the human resistance. Then she gets captured and kept under lock and key with lots of hostility.

And then of course, there's this whole dilemma about Melanie and Wanderer both loving the same person, who hates Wanderer, and another guy loving Wanderer, and lots of people trying to kill her rather than accept her, and so on.

Now I will explain more about this whole love-triangle. It was quite interesting, with Wanderer loving the same person as Melanie, but they shared the same body, and so that made it a bit difficult. But really? There was this whole thing that you get with a lot of sappy books like "Oh, I love you so much" and "I would die to protect you" and "Oh no, you can't handle this by yourself, I need to come along and protect you because you are much too soft and unprotected. You certainly are uncapable of keeping yourself safe." And then the whole "No! don't go Jared! (the guy) i love you too much even though I don't know why the hell why I do, I just do, probably because you are so cute, even though you have ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONALITY AT ALL!!!" (fine, she didn't say that).

I liked the concept though, as I said before. It was really interesting, especially being inside Wanderer's head and knowing how she felt, what she thought, the whole way through.

I must say, at the start I was worried that this was going to be just six hundred pages of nothing-ness, but I have never finished a book, so I kept pushing on.

So, to sum it up, this was a great book, just please, Stephenie. No more of the lovey-sappiness.
Good Points
- i liked the concept
- i liked all the descriptions of the different world's Wanderer lived on
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
January 27, 2013
Woops, sorry everyone, i meant i have never NOT finished a book, not I have never finished a book.
1 results - showing 1 - 1