Review Detail

2.3 2
Young Adult Fiction 234
Was Promising, but the Characters and the Lack of World-Building Were Hard to Ignore
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
MY THOUGHTS
There was two misconceptions I had about this book:
1. I assumed this was a contemporary when I first saw it.
The cover seems like a cover for a contemporary book and the author is known for writing contemporary books, so I thought it was contemporary.
2. I thought it would be based on forbidden love.
When I got around to reading the synopsis, I not only figured out that this was not a contemporary book, but I also saw that this book would have forbidden romance in it.

I was happy to find out that this is a time travel book, which is one of my favorite book topics. I was also happy to find out that this book was not all about forbidden romance, something that I have been getting sick of lately in books.

I was really interested in the idea behind this book. Someone coming from a desolate future to the present in order to save their own future? Heck yes! Sadly, I was disappointed by this book. This idea was shown in the book often, but the execution of this idea failed.

World-Building: The world-building was the main reason. Everything in this book was rushed, it was as if an entire series was crammed in one book. Since the book was rushed, there wasn't a lot of time for world-building, which left me with a lot of answered questions. Why were they chosen to travel? How exactly did they travel? And the list goes on.

Characters: With the story being rushed, we also didn't get a lot of time to know the characters, leaving us with a bunch of cardboard characters. Ethan is just the cardboard boyfriend, he doesn't even seem to have any other purpose than to be there. There's a girl named Katherine who is Prenna's best friend but she doesn't serve any purpose to the story at all, in fact, she's hardly in it. Almost every character is a cardboard character, even Prenna is a cardboard character (the idiot with a high IQ. Seriously, she makes so many dumb decisions yet she has a high IQ? In what world does this make sense?).

IN CONCLUSION
I was really hoping to like this book.
It would have been an interesting take on time-travel if only the story was not rushed. If we had more world-building and more personality to the characters, I would have been able to enjoy this book much more.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account