Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Well, it's been well over 2 months since I read this one. I forgot to write a review right away, and then I got busy reading. So, here I am. Writing a review several months later about a book that was enjoyable while I read it, but really unremarkable after the fact.

Sorry for the fans of Ann Brashares. I never read her other books, so I have nothing to compare her writing to. The writing, actually, wasn't bad at all. The Here and Now was a super fast read with a steady pace. It just didn't wow me. I think the market has been flooded with sci-fi/dystopian books lately. And since I've read so many of them, it's becoming increasingly harder to impress me. That's it in a nutshell.

So what can I say 2 months later? Not a whole lot, I'm afraid. I can say you will probably enjoy this one because there is a certain mystery behind Prenna for about half of the book. Then you're going to figure things out. From that point on you are seeing it through because you feel committed. It's not going to have some huge plot twist or shock factor. When you finish the last page, you'll think "ok" and move on. There won't be any deep pondering or wonderings of "what if".

The characters are likeable enough, but they don't dazzle. I never felt invested in them. In fact, the insta-love made me roll my eyes a good bit. I heard that this has been optioned for a movie. I'm going to take a leap here and say it's due to the success of her other novels as movies. As far as a book made for a movie, this is not one I would choose.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account