A Fan's Dream Come True
Overall rating

Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Learning Value

N/A
Smart Pop Books is celebration the release of the first The Hunger Games film with a movie edition of their book, THE GIRL WHO WAS ON FIRE. Edited by Leah Wilson, this collection of sixteen essays examines Suzanne Collins’ series from a variety of angles. Written by young adult authors, the topics vary wildly and will suit the interests of devout fans.

THE GIRL WHO WAS ON FIRE addresses the series as a whole, so it should not be read until after completing Mockingjay. I appreciate the respect with which Collins’ novels are treated and the research that went into the pieces. While many readers of The Hunger Games are desperate for more, this book will appeal to the most hardcore fans. As teachers are required to include more nonfiction in their lessons, some of the essays would be a great accompaniment to a study of the novel, or a lighter introduction to literary analysis.

The anthology brings out the pop culture side of my personality. Cara Lockwood’s essay, “Not So Weird Science” focuses on bioethics and Blythe Wollston’s “Bent, Shattered and Mended” discusses Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome in the context of the series. Others might enjoy those essays, but for me it was all about Terri Clark’s in-depth look at Cinna’s contribution, “Crime of Fashion.” Why, yes, I would like to read about every outfit Katniss wore in the series, thank you for asking! I also loved Jackson Pearce’s ode to my preferred suitor, “Gale: Knight. Cowboy. Badass.” I’ll be sending that one to my Peeta-loving friend.

After reading THE GIRL WHO WAS ON FIRE, I am even more excited to see the movie and re-read the series.
Good Points
There's something for every hardcore Hunger Games fan here.
The essay on Cinna was particularly fun.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account

Latest Additions