Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I've been avoiding writing this review because I just don't think my tear ducts can handle it. But I need to do it because this is honestly one of the best books I have ever read. This is the first book by John Green that I have read, and I enjoyed his style immensely. His writing is witty and elevated, which only furthers the point that the main character is smart beyond her years. Hazel has cancer, but I could tell she is an old soul, forced to deal with circumstances that no teenager should. There are some main characters that I just can't stand in books because their wit turns into snark which turns into an annoying attempt at portraying teen angst. John Green drove the line between funny and obnoxious with perfection. There wasn't any point in the novel where I felt Hazel was a brat or annoying to listen to. In fact, all I wanted to do was hear her thoughts and keep reading to uncover her heartbreaking story.

Now on to the boy...Augustus Waters. At first I wasn't sure about him. Is he an arrogant jerk or is he that know it all guy you kind of love to hate? I quickly realized neither were true. I didn't ever want to hate him. Yes, he may be overly confident, but his heart is too large for him to be a jerk. He's the guy that was meant for Hazel and in their relationship you find a perfect story.

For me it's easier to write bad reviews than good ones. Because I just don't have much to say besides this book is amazing and you should read it immediately. My absolute favorite part of the book was when you realize why it's called The Fault in Our Stars. I won't give it away because its something you should read in the book.

And lastly, tissues are required for this. My face was a puddle of mascara when I was reading. The last hundred pages were the worst and I had a steady stream going for the entirety of them. But it was worth it.

I recommend this book for anyone who can read...seriously.
Good Points
Emotional
Funny/Witty
Augustus Waters
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
March 17, 2012
I was an absolute puddle for the final third of the book. Totally worth it, though!
1 results - showing 1 - 1