Overall rating

Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Learning Value

N/A
Reader reviewed by Mairi

Daniel Burnham, the architect in charge of building the World's Columbian Exposition (the World's Fair of 1893) knows that the fair he builds will represent America, especially western America- long associated with savages. While he attempts to build the greatest fair the world has ever seen another man, the well-liked H. H. Holmes, reads newspaper articles about the likes of Jack the Ripper and has a kiln for burning his future victims' bodies installed in his basement. He keeps this well hidden from his neighbors, who see him as a charming young man.

This is the book my book club is reading, and when I started it I was working under the assumption that it would be boring- all factual, you know. It may be nonfiction- as the author says, anything between quotation marks was actually said- but it is far from boring. The fact that it is true only gives it more power.

The fact that it is true does not make it good reading for everyone- some of the chapters are more chilling than any horror story I have ever read.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account

Latest Additions