N/A
Reader reviewed by Erica

The Demon's Lexicon
Sarah Rees Brennan
Release Date: June 2, 2009
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Pages: 336

Rating: 4 stars

Nick and his brother, Alan, have spent their lives on the run from magic. Their father was murdered, and their mother was driven mad by magicians and the demons who give them power. The magicians are hunting the Ryves family for a charm that Nick's mother stole -- a charm that keeps her alive -- and they want it badly enough to kill again.
Danger draws even closer when a brother and sister come to the Ryves family for help. The boy wears a demon's mark, a sign of death that almost nothing can erase...and when Alan also gets marked by a demon, Nick is des-perate to save him. The only way to do that is to kill one of the magicians they have been hiding from for so long.

Ensnared in a deadly game of cat and mouse, Nick starts to suspect that his brother is telling him lie after lie about their past. As the magicians' Circle closes in on their family, Nick uncovers the secret that could destroy them all.

This is the Demon's Lexicon. Turn the page.

The Demon's Lexicon took a bit to really pick up. For the first 200 pages, there was some action, but I found myself bored at times. It took me awhile to read, because I kept putting it down.

The plot Brennan spins is amazing! It didn't really pick up for a bit, but even in the down time she builds the plot for what comes later. There's so many twists and turns, I never had a clue what would happen next.

So many of the characters in The Demon's Lexicon, you would think you have them figured out, then a few chapters later they'd do something to make you completely flip your opinion. Mae was my favorite character of the book, I don't think she necessarily was the best written character but she just had an air about her. Alan and Nick were strong characters - as times they played off each others weaknesses. Jamie, overall, was just an entertaining character throughout the entire book.

The ending was a total shocker! And the events that lead to it were surprising as well! For the last chunk of the book, I found myself flipping pages and sucked in. The ending set up such a perfect road for an awesome sequel! I'll definately be picking up the sequel to see how the story continues!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account