Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A

I received The Demons Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan nestled in one of my muchly anticipated book-laden shipments from Kimberly, YA Book Goddess. When I opened the box I was immediately captured by the rich cover, which features a fierce young man with a talisman around his neck. As I often do when Im trying to decide what to read first, I opened the book and read the opening sentence.

The pipe under the sink was leaking again. It wouldnt have been so bad, except that Nick kept his favorite sword under the sink.

Really? How do you put a book down after that?

You dont. I didnt.

The opening scene captured me further, featuring a sarcastic exchange between Nick and his older brother, Alan. The witty dialogue is followed immediately by action, when in through the window came an unkindness of ravens. (I love that sentence. What a set up!  I think I read it ten times.) These birds happen to be possessed by demons. And when the demons are defeated, Nick and Alan are left with a dead magician on their kitchen floor.

And so it begins.

Brennans voice is superbly fresh. Whether its due to her wordsmith skills or her Irish heritage, I found the cadence of her words to be extremely pleasing. The Demons Lexicon comes with an array of unforgettable characters, but it was Nick who stole my heart. It only took a few pages to become invested in him, worrying and wondering about what was coming next and how he and his friends would fare.

The Demons Lexicon serves up some most excellent twists, and I definitely dont want to give any of them away. Dont miss this book. I highly anticipate the sequel. Until then, you can discover outtakes and more information at sarahreesbrennan.com. 

Furthermore, I will share that I chased a couple of teenagers down the Young Adult aisle at my local bookstore to convince them that they needed to leave with this book in their hands.

They did.

And Im quite sure they enjoyed it as much as I did.

Highest Recommendations.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account