N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by Emma

The boy in the striped pyjamas is John Boyne who has cleverly wrote this book from the world of Bruno and his life with his family.

The life of the nine year old boy changes drastically one day when his father gets a new job. This requires his father along with the whole family to move from their cosy home in Berlin to a strict house in out with. Bruno is a very curious boy and decides to put down his German history book and go to explore. When Bruno is exploring he comes across another nine year old boy called Shmuel. As the book goes on you find out more about Shmuel and his pyjamas.

What I think is good about the book is that it takes you on a journey of Brunos life and gives you little hints of the ending all the way through. It never completely tells you what the ending is going to be so when you read the ending it is a massive shock and even makes some people cry.

I think the main weak point in the book is the length of the ending. It is such a good ending but I feel it was rushed.  Most of the book was spent telling the life of Bruno and how he came to meet Shmuel. I think this makes it more personal as you get to know very well. I still think the ending should stay the same just make it longer by adding more detail. This would ensure that werent left with any questions about the ending.

I would recommend this book to someone of my age but not anyone younger. I wouldnt recommend it to anyone younger than 14 as they might not understand the history and I think that knowing a bit of the history is a key part to understanding the book fully.

Overall I think this is a very good book and it is defiantly worth reading.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account