Review Detail

4.7 12
Young Adult Fiction 253
A Beautifully Written Story! I LOVED IT!!!
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
First Thoughts:
I had been looking forward to reading The Archived ever since I saw preview in the back of The Near Witch. The idea of a place where the dead rest on shelves like books? How could that not be a great premise? I really enjoyed The Near Witch, so I was super excited when I was able to trade for an ARC of The Archived through the YA Book Exchange.

And Then:
I truly loved this book. The plot was unique and well thought out. When reading, I didn't feel like I had read the same type of story in another book (which has been happening quite a bit lately). It was well and truly one of a kind.
I love when an author's world building really gives me a clear picture, as if I am watching a movie in my head. Victoria Schwab really achieved that for me in this book. The plot was fast paced and thrilling. There were many creepy twists and turns that I did not see coming. (I love when that happens.) The writing was lyrical and had such a nice flow to it. The main character Mackenzie was tough and brave, but also had a sentimental side. She was very likable and I enjoyed going on this journey with her. The romance was sweet, and not a huge part of the novel. Still, I felt that the way it was incorporated worked really well with the plot and pacing.
There are a few things in the book that I felt could have been explained a little more. For example, I would have liked a little more detail about how the "histories" could actually wake up and walk around. I mean, they are dead right? If they are only the person's memories, how do they have bodies? Maybe there was something more that I missed, but logically speaking, I didn't quite get some of the more technical aspects of how it all works.
Besides that, this was a beautiful story filled with heartbreak, love, and loss. The author really made me think about truth and lies, past and present, and how easily they can blur together. I especially loved the parts where Mac was remembering the time she spent with her Da (grandfather). It is written in flashbacks, and the relationship it revealed between the two characters added something very special to the story.

Overall:
I really enjoyed The Archived. I would recommend it to anyone who likes their paranormal to have some depth to it. It really leaves you with something to think about in regards to life/death, love/loss, truth/lies. This was another winner for me by Victoria Schwab. I will be eagerly anticipating her next novel.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account