N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by the book muncher

Junior is just another unlucky kid living on an Indian reservation, but unfortunately, hes even unluckier than most. He was born with brain damage and a strangely disproportioned body, which causes him to be alternately beat up and ridiculed by all the other kids on the reservation except his only friend Rowdy. Junior might be smart and a good artist, but growing up in poverty and surrounded by alcoholics and broken dreams makes him believe that hes destine to the same life hes always had. But the wise advice from a teacher prompts Junior to take control of his life and fight against what little is expected of him. And despite animosity from nearly every side, this unlucky kid is determined to succeed.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is both profound and humorous, making for a very enjoyable read. Juniors frank voice made for plenty of deep thoughts and giggles. Junior was so interesting to read about, both because of his character and circumstances. I found Junior to be surprisingly mature for his age, and it made him seem older than he actually was, but then again, this maturity may have arisen from his difficult life. Life on the reservation was realistically portrayed, as heartbreaking as it was. Drawing and art did not play as large a role in Juniors life as I wouldve thought; instead, sports, particularly basketball, were central to Juniors struggle for success. This novel definitely left me with that warm fuzzy feeling that can inspire anyone to strive to accomplish their dreams, no matter how far-fetched. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is a fun and heartwarming read about life and death, friendship and family.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is a feel-good novel while still retaining its authenticity. Fans of this storys message will also enjoy Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith.

reposted from http://thebookmuncher.blogspot.com
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account