Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
SWAY WITH ME is a lovely YA contemporary read about a young man named Arsalan. Arsalan lives with Nana, his great-grandfather, who has shaped his view of the world, religion, and even the clothes he wears. His life is about to change when he asks Beenish (Beans) for help with finding a match, as she is the stepdaughter of a prominent matchmaker. In return, she asks him to help her win a dance contest as a dancing partner. He considers and accepts the bargain.

As they spend time together with a makeover and plenty of dance practice, they will both get more from the bargain than they ever could have expected.

What I loved: A major theme of the book is around family. Both Beenish and Arsalan are struggling with their family dynamics and domestic abuse (different manifestations). Though they seem like opposites, they compliment each other in unexpected ways. Arsalan feels like an old soul, in part due to the influence of his Nana, who is another engaging character. Through the course of his training with Beans and his interactions with her family and friends, Arsalan continues to grow and develop. He is a character that is easy to connect with and love, and his story was really beautiful.

Other themes in the book are the romance, trust, loyalty, gravity and the pull some people have, forgiveness, courage, religion, and prejudice. They are all really poignant and thought-provoking. Arsalan's story is one that speaks to the heart, and I was captivated from the beginning and all the way through. This was a really touching and emotional read in all the best ways.

Final verdict: A beautiful read about family, forgiveness, and friendship, SWAY WITH ME is a YA contemporary that speaks to the heart. Highly recommend picking this one up!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account