Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
My relationship with this book is rather complicated. As a retelling of JA's Pride and Prejudice, it was fun. There were, however, some plot flaws that irked me along the way.

I think of myself as a JA connoisseur. Therefore, it is my duty to read all things JA related. That can be retellings, biographies, or spoofs-- it really does not matter. I also tend to love these books just for the mere fact that they are based on stories by one of my most beloved authors. Spies and Prejudice falls into the 'cute' category in the retelling department. It was highly original, so that made it fun. Tanner was mysterious enough, but he was no Mr. Darcy. Sorry! There were some similarities, but it's hard to duplicate such a perfect character.

While the plot of Spies and Prejudice follows Pride and Prejudice, there was one thing that hindered me from thinking this was a fantastic read. The romance between the characters really spoiled this for me. I was moving along with the story, really enjoying it, and then BAM! I was hit with the L-word. it made me go, "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!" Way too sudden. From that moment on, I was rolling my eyes any time two certain characters interacted. Very disappointing. The use of the L-word in a book should not feel like a sucker punch. There needs to be something backing that up. I just wasn't buying it with the characters, and I never did--even on the last page. Extreme 'like'? I would have gone with that. Infatuation? Also believable. You are my long lost soulmate that I need to be with for eternity? Pah-lease.

If you are like me and feel compelled to read any book that so much as looks like a JA retelling, go for it. You will find enough similarities in Spies and Prejudice to make you happy. You won't, however, find Mr. Darcy's twin or a very believable relationship. (But the first half of the book is solid enough.)
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account