Young Adult Fiction 1720
They'll put a spell on you
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I don't know why, but this cover just kept giving me Ghost Busters vibes, but this book is far from it.

Spell Bound by F.T. Lukens is YA queer fantasy novel that follows Rook, formerly known as Edison Rooker, in his attempts to regain the magic he lost when his grandmother died. Which ultimately leads him to the door of Antonia Hex (aka the very evil Regina George of this book,) who offers him a job and a new name, Rook. Under Antonia guidance, Rook begins to succeed at everything he does. (Though he does have to work hard to hide his magical spell binder, that is forbidden and super dangerous) Including gaining a rivalry with Sun. Until his spell binder is discovered, and Antonia is under fire. Rook must team up with Sun to save their teachers and keep their magic.

What I loved most about this book, was the magic system. It was both simple and complicated, in the sense that it was powered by ley lines. But also allowed diversity in the abilities of who was wielding it, aka Antonia vs. Sun.

I also loved the overall grumpy x sunshine dynamic between Rook and Sun. I found it to be a breath of fresh air between all the enemies to lovers I've been reading recently, where they're both just snarky jerks. Especially so in the way that Rook is the adorable bubbly one, given he is named after a dark and mysterious bird. While Sun is the dark and gloomy one.

Honestly, I wouldn't change anything about this book. Save for the fact that I need a bit more Sun and Rook in my life now.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account