N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by Amanda

As much as I enjoy the works of Sarah Dessen and as much as Someone Like You has been praised, I believe this story has yet to be finished. The ending is really a mystery to us all.

Halley Cooke is the 16-year-old resident of Lakeview, main character of the story. She has returned from Sisterhood Camp to heal the wounds of her best friend and neighbor, Scarlett Thomas, whose boyfriend of the summer, Michael Sherwood, has died in a motorcycle accident. This is a hard time for them both seeing as Michael was a good friend and the only boy Scarlett loved. Within weeks of Michael’s death, Scarlett learns she is pregnant with Michael’s child. Marion, Scarlett’s mother, forces Scarlett into the idea of abortion, but with the help of Halley and Macon Faulkner, Michael’s friend, the idea and task itself are aborted. Marion thrives on the topic of adoption for months proceeding the incident, but eventually gives up. Throughout, Halley helps Scarlett make the correct decisions and supports her.

The other part of Someone Like You is about love. Halley falls in love with Macon. They go out for quite a few months, but Macon doesn’t feel their relationship is furthering itself. Halley is afraid of making the wrong decision, having an accident, or Macon not being the ONE. She doesn’t want to end up like Scarlett, having a child on mistake through sex. Halley loves her, Halley loves Macon, but she doesn’t want to be pressured.

This is a truly touching and realistic story. There are lessons, yes, but you will enjoy the story and learn them as well. Someone Like You accurately describes pregnancy, teens at school, peer pressures, and that you must take responsibility for your actions.

My favorite part of the story was when Scarlett had the baby and everyone supported her. All her peers from school gathered to see the birth. It didn’t matter who they were.

I recommend Someone Like You for girls ages 13 and up. If you are interested in the story, see the movie, How to Deal, a combination with That Summer.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account