Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Why I Loved It: After reading Cinder *which I did pretty recently because I was putting it off for fear of hating it due to the whole cyborg-cinderella idea* and loving it, I knew that I would have to buy Scarlet. Which is probably why it was on pre-order. My sister, once again, claimed it first. Because I am a wonderful sister who lets her read the books first even though she reads so much slower than me, I allowed this. But I almost killed her after she took THREE WHOLE DAYS! I mean that's just awful when you have already waited so long. I only gave in because she technically read Cinder way before I did. So now that I have gotten way off topic...

Scarlet was like the coolest twist off of Red Riding Hood ever. The whole idea behind it with the sci-fi steampunk kinda of feel to it made me all kinds of ooey gooey good inside. The book is a sequel to Cinder, but I would say it's also a bit companion-ish. Most of the story is told from Scarlet's perspective with flashes showing what Cinder is up to throughout the book with all coming together in the end. That's the biggest spoiler you shall receive from me.

As a character, Scarlet was like this awesome take-charge, have no fear kinda girl. I mean she kicked butt. Run into a den full of "wolves"? Sure no problem, if it means helping Grand-mere. I loved that about her. She was so protective and loving. And the tension between Scarlet and Wolf. Yes. That is all. Just... yes.

Scarlet is free of many of the insecurities that Cinder faced, and in this book Cinder has moved past quite a few of those to become a much fiercer side of herself. I absolutely adored the characters in this book, but Scarlet really made the book awesome.

Ms. Meyer is incredible with the way she works her magic with these fairy tales as old as time. I love her style, her plots, and her characters. I'm so excited to see how the story pulls together in the next story. It should be epic.

Who Should Read It: Fans of Cinder, amazingly redone fairy tales, and fans of steam punk type stories.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
March 15, 2013
I think I'm one of the few people who didn't like this one more than Cinder. It's not that Scarlet wasn't good, but I liked Cinder's character better than Scarlet's. There's nothing wrong with Scarlet; she's fierce and will do anything to save her grandma, but I just connected with Cinder more for some reason.
I did REALLY love the play on wolves, though. It was so much different than any other thing I've read!
1 results - showing 1 - 1