Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
This review was first posted at http://lustforstories.blogspot.ca/2013/02/review-root-bound-by-tanya-karen-gough.html

I don't often read Middle Grade books, but I found Root Bound very much enjoyable. It begins the story with Emma moving to her new home and introducing the scary - and quite rude - lady down the hall. Once she's in her new apartment, she hears voices from creatures that she can't see, referring to Emma as a Human. Of course, like any other curious young child would, she goes to investigate and stumbles upon some brownies.

What I really admire about Root Bound the most is its narrative. The narration of the story seems so much like one of a child's, which the kind that I haven't had the chance to read many times. It maintains a childish innocence, and makes it seem kind of cute.

One thing that I felt could've been worked on a bit more was the world building. Of course, Tanya Karen Gough did take time to stop and describe and pick apart at times, but I felt that taking a bit more time to linger on that aspect would've added a lot to its appeal.

In the end, I didn't feel absolutely enchanted by Root Bound, but reading it was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed walking alongside Emma on her journey to help the brownies and thought that her narrative was very well done. Though I wouldn't recommend it to adults or teenagers looking for a read with substance, this would be something I think would be extremely delightful for younger children.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account