Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
If any of you have previously read my reviews of Andrea Cremer's Nightshade trilogy, you know I'm a HUGE fan. That being said I tried not to be biased when I started reading Rift. You know what? I didn't have to be. It's an incredible read that could stand alone apart from the Nightshade trilogy, but is also woven into the Nightshade series as well. You could read Rift on it's own if you wanted (though I don't know why you would want to) without having previously read the sequels, or even planning to read them after. There are a few minor spoilers in my review. I’m sorry, I tried to write it without any, but just couldn’t figure out how. You’ve been warned.

Ember is an incredible female lead. In a time where women are expected to marry and have children (and that is all they are good for), Ember's attitude does not bode well with her father. I loved Ember's individuality and spunk. She is a great role model for girls everywhere. She is courageous, strong, and stands up for herself. Not that getting married and having children is a bad thing at all. I’m actually a homemaker, and I love my decision to be so. However, this particular lifestyle was expected of women during Ember’s time and she actually fought against it because it’s not what she wanted. I admire that. I’m also very interested to see if her view on this subject changes at all in the next book. I really appreciated that fact that Ember wanted to learn to fight, and she was very good at it! She didn’t let being a girl stop her from what she was called to do.

Barrow is, oh my goodness how do I even start, very swoon worthy. For the readers who have read the ‘Nightshade’ series, he definitely fills the void of Ren and Shay. I really enjoyed his character and he made a great addition to this story. I love a man who is rough on the outside, but soft on the inside. I fell in love with the other characters of the story, too.

I greatly appreciated how Ms. Cremer gives us the backstory to what will eventually happen in the Nightshade series. When Bosque Mar presented himself I wanted a certain character to make him leave, but I knew that wouldn’t happen because I’ve read the Nightshade series. It was really interesting reading about him and it was scary to read how cunning he is. I also found it very interesting how the character (I don’t want to give away too many spoilers) who called upon him thought they were helping at first. Isn’t that always how it goes though?

All in all, action packed, romantic & great prequel to Nightshade. A definite read for those who love the Nightshade series, and a must for those who haven’t! I just adore this world that Andrea Cremer has created and I’m so excited that I get to read more about it!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account