Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
"Redux" is the continuation of "Nexis," which picks up right where "Nexis" left off. Ellani (aka Ella) and several of the Elite are in the tunnels under the city after fleeing the death and chaos that descended upon Evanescence after she planted the virus. They learn quickly that the food stores they expected to be there are emptied and they will not be able to travel to their sister domed city, as they had planned. They will instead have to go to the outer ring and find some food stores. Ella is also questioning who played the game with her- Gus or Quent- as she navigates these new troubles.

This book felt a little like an in-between book, as second books often do, where the plot advances a little but mostly it carries us between more significant books. We learn some new pieces to the puzzle that is the Tricksters, the games (Nexis and Redux, the version of Nexis played by the disfavored), Ella's parents, and her own romantic relationships. There is also imminent danger from not only the disfavored and the city itself, but also from cannibals.

That being said, the writing style is still just as fantastic as the first, and I read this book quickly- within a day, and it was tough to stop reading at all. The writing style is descriptive enough to allow you to picture everything with ease but without getting bogged down with too much flowery language- I found it to be a perfect blend and really enjoyed it! It's about the same length as the first, and it seemed to be just right. I only wish I had the next book already!

Overall, this is a really great addition to a clever series, and I really enjoyed it! Please note that I received an ARC from the publisher through netgalley. All opinions are my own.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account