Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
REAWAKENED by Colleen Houck introduces readers to a new series where ancient Egyptian mythology meets a New York City teen. Their meeting sets off a string of events that cumulative into one fast-paced ride.

What worked: Fans of Egyptian mythology will enjoy this new series. There's twists and turns throughout including a very hot Egyptian Prince demigod. Add a little romance, intrigue, and Egyptian mysteries and readers are sure to be entertained.

Some pluses have to include what happens after seventeen-year-old Lilliana Young brushes up a mysterious hot guy in Metropolitan Museum of Art. Little does she know that he's Amon, a Egyptian demigod that has been awaken after a thousand years to help, along with his two other brothers, to stop evil god Seth from causing chaos on Earth.

The beginning starts off fast and I really loved seeing the interactions between Lily and Amon. Who wouldn't freak out in the presence of a demigod? The emotional exchanges are intense and there's also a level of humor. The scene where he eats his first hot dog is very funny.

What I did have issues with had to be the whole romance between the two. Sure at first there were some sparks here and there but I had a hard time thinking she was in fact 'in love'. When he touched Lily, he did set off an intense emotional tie that I feel might be what she was really feeling though saying that maybe readers will see more reactions between them in the second book. I can't help but think this isn't the last we've seen of these characters!

The explanations do help those who aren't familiar with the Egyptian mythology though I did feel at times it felt more like class was in session. There were times that the explanations felt more like telling and not showing. I felt they also slowed down an otherwise engaging plot.

Other than those few things, the story gains momentum once they go to Egypt. There's lots that happen including these awesome crocodile zombies, glimpses inside Egyptian tombs shown in vivid details, booby-traps, and a thousand plus year old secret society that helps whenever the demigods reappear.

LIGHTNING THIEF meets Egyptian gods, fans of Egyptian mythology will enjoy this new fantasy series. Fast-paced trip to Egypt with a cute demigod out to save the day.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account