Review Detail

4.6 9
Young Adult Fiction 669
A Sci-fi Novel that Will Entice Contemporary Fans!
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Pivot Point, I'm not quite sure what you are... but I think I kinda loved it. I have this issue where I feel the need to categorize things. I can't explain it, I guess that's just the way my brain works. Pivot Point was really an enigma for me because I just couldn't tell what genre it would fall in. From the blurb, it clearly screams sci-fi, but when you start reading it feels so contemporary. And that was a very, very pleasant surprise because the novel kept me guessing from beginning to end.

Addison lives in a little community that is very different from our world. Everyone she knows has abilities similar to those right out an X-Men comic book. She herself can see into her future by Searching different paths for her to take. Unfortunately for her, she has to use this ability to choose which parent she wants to live with when they spring their divorce on her. So what does she choose? Door number one or two?

Throughout the course of the novel you have two of Addie's future telling one story. Her POV effortlessly bounces back and forth, revealing clues to the ultimate ending. It's a very clever way of telling a story. Time after time, I thought I would get lost due to the flip-flopping, but that was never the case. West wove both futures together allowing them to compliment each other and somehow not detracting from the story. I really have to give her major props there because this book could have gone very wrong, but it went so very, very right for me.

Now, what I didn't expect from Pivot Point was the very well assembled plot. West's ability to build just the right amount of anticipation reminds me of Beth Revis' Across the Universe series. Regardless of what you may be feeling while reading, you're going to be flipping pages. I really feel it's a skill that I don't see very often these days. So many times I found myself really hooked so much so that as I was carrying on the most mundane of tasks throughout the day, my eyes diverted to the book across the room. At that's mostly do to all the great moments in Pivot Point: From the witty dialogue, the mystery, the uniqueness of the story, to the character development of Addie.

And then there's Trevor. *sigh*

AWESOME. Guys, there's this part in the book where Addie learns some THINGS and he's there to hold her and says some really sweet THINGS and, I swear, I cried because that scene was just utter perfection for me.

But what I really loved about the book was the ending. I love how Addie didn't let her feelings for one guy to dictate which path she should choose. Her choice is ultimately based on love for her friends and kindness for others at the expense of her own happiness. I loved her for that and I wish I saw more YA heroines of this same quality.

In case it wasn't clear: I LOVED Pivot Point and highly recommend it. I thought it was just going to be a cutesy little book, but it slowly became more and more complex and intriguing as the novel wore on. It took me completely by surprise and I'm so ready for that sequel!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account