Powerful!
Overall rating

Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Learning Value

N/A
Marjane is back and older in Persepolis 2. Now that she is living and attending school in Austria, she has a whole new set of problems to deal with. I have to admit that I realized how selfish I could be when I read her story this time around. It has never occurred to me how lonely it would be to be surrounded by people that I have nothing in common with culturally. I've never lived abroad in a country that does not speak my language, so this situation never crossed my mind. However, reading what Marji went through during her high school years, I was shocked by how easy it would be to disappear among a crowd.

The author did a great job of taking what was probably a retched time in her life and making it both humorous and believable. She did not take away from her experiences with her witty remarks, but she did not share all of the gut-wrenching details either.

What I found myself really enjoying this time around is how Marji both lost and found herself between the pages of Persepolis 2. It was also an eye opener in that I now understand why some cultures are so against the West and our "decadence" after seeing the extent Marji went to fit in. It must be a horrible feeling to lose what makes you you in order to fit in, only to find that you still don't truly belong. (Okay, to be fair, don't most teenagers go through some extent of this growing up? I know it's part of the process, but Marji went through an extreme version.)

But Marji has amazing parents that realize she is the daughter they raised. She is outspoken, independent, and not a coward. Marji just needed a bit of a push to remember that. When she does realize her place and purpose in the world, she becomes an amazing force. I really wish this story continued on because I want to know more. I was just in awe the entire time. I could write more, but I would start babbling over all the connections and comments I wrote down while reading. The pages were filled with insight, but it wouldn't be fair to try to squeeze it all into a few paragraphs in this review. Again, just like with Persepolis, this is a must read.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account

Latest Additions