Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
If I'm honest, I have no idea why I read this book. I'm not a fan of the cover at all, since it seems kind of boring and pointless and too brown to me, but I've read some other of Elizabeth Scott's books, and I think she's starting to become one of my favorite authors.

A lot of Perfect You takes place in the mall where Kate works to help out her dad after he quit his job. For some reason that I still don't understand, Kate's dad thought selling "Perfect You" vitamins was his dream. And while I think this was creative, I didn't understand his motives. Kate's dad does a lot of smiling and faking in this book, and I never really understood why.

I also didn't understand Kate's grandmother. While Kate's family sinks farther and farther into debt because her father won't step up and get a real job, Kate's grandma comes for a visit. All she seems to care about is appearances and money, but that wasn't my problem with her. My problem was that one moment she was talking about her shopping trip, and the next she was scolding Kate for the self-pitying she was doing and giving some odd piece of advice. The transition between Vain Woman and Real Grandma didn't seem natural to me.

Anna, Kate's ex-best friend, was probably the worst part of this book. Kate lets Anna walk all over her and then pretend she doesn't exist whenever her other friends are around, just because she wants to be popular. Sure, in the end, Kate realizes this, but through almost all of the book, Kate is pretty pathetic whenever it comes to Anna.

However, those are the only bad things I can seem to find about the book. Kate's relationship with Will involves a lot of making out, sure, and at times it didn't seem like it could be a real relationship, but Will wasn't some perfect guy, and he provided for some comic relief. :D Also, I actually knew what the characters looked like. Really knew. Because unlike most of the YA contemp. fiction I've been reading lately, Scott actually described what the characters looked like.

Overall: This is one of my new favorite books.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account