Writing Style

N/A
Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
OATH TAKER starts out super intriguing. As the reader, you’re immediately pulled into a world of light and dark magic, of Sun Lords and Shade Lords, of a curse and a broken world. In the dark opening scene, the protagonist Haven is faced with a Shade Lord which sets the tone for the rest of the book. The first chapters are very tensive and you keep wondering what’s going to happen next. You feel immediately connected to Haven.

The writing style is very simple and easy to follow. It isn’t too fast or too slow paced, which makes the book pleasant to read. The POV switches between Haven and Prince Bellamy. Thanks to this the reader is taken along on Haven’s journey as well as learns about Bellamy’s fate and their feelings. There are quite a few grammar and spelling mistakes and missing words in this book, which could put off the reader, but it’s nothing too distracting.

The world building is a bit lacking in places. The magic system is quite complicated, with Sun and Shade Lords who possess magic, rune magic and commoners who also possess magic. Throughout the book the magic system hasn’t been explained to its full extend. The book does start with a massive glossary where everything is explained, but by the time I finished with the list, I had already forgotten half of the stuff I read. The book would’ve been stronger if everything had been explained in the actual story.

The communication between protagonist Haven and Sun Lord Archeron is to die for. They are clearly annoyed with each other, but they’re also intrigued by each other. This makes for very interesting chemistry and very funny and deliciously sarcastic interaction.

OATH TAKER is the perfect book for readers who like action and magic packed adventures, fights between light and dark, plot twists and royalty. It’s a fast read that’s perfect if you’re looking for something easy but thrilling. If you like plot twists and rescue missions, OATH TAKER is a must to read!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account