Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Whenever Kaylee Cavanaugh screams, someone dies. But something goes wrong when she attends the concert of pop star Eden, who dies without Kaylee having the desire to scream. Later she finds out why. Eden has sold her soul to some mega star CEO, who has teen pop stars sell their souls in order to make it big. This is great while the stars are still alive as they get anything they desire. But when they die what's left is called Demon Breath and it's collected by special grim reapers who deliver it to hellions in the Netherworld, who torment those stars for eternity.

Kaylee feels bad for them but has enough on her plate besides being grounded. Then she gets a visit from her boyfriend Nash's grim reaper brother Tod. His ex girlfriend Addison just happened to sign one of those contracts and her little tween sister is in danger of doing the same thing. Can Kaylee help? Or has she taken on more than even she can handle?

This story continues the Soul Screamer series. I really enjoyed the twist on the usual paranormal, I see dead people premise. In this case a girl screams to announce the death of a person, which reminded me of ancient Greek mythology.

Kaylee has just found out she has the ability to sense when someone dies. I liked how this story unfolds with twists and turns. The consequences of selling your soul are showed in surreal, scary detail. I couldn't help but think of Holly Black's faery world where creatures that are horrific live right by our side. The same thing with the Netherworld. I wanted to see more of this world! The description of the Netherworld had Clive Baker elements. Haunting and scary. I hope the third book shows us more of Kaylee crossing over into that world.

One plus of this book is the romance between Nash and Kaylee. Each is a bean stidh with abilities that compliment each other. Some scenes sizzle with emotion but still are tame enough to appeal to Twilight fans.

The combination of mystery and romance makes this a book paranormal fans will enjoy. I can't wait for the third book in the series, My Soul to Keep, coming out June 2010.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account