Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Most YA stories worth reading have at their center a strong, worthy heroine. They usually possess a character trait or a perspective that is unique, and because of that, she ends up changing the world around her for the better.

Claire Luana's Kai is just such a character. In a time when "moonburners" and "sunburners" live in fear and hatred of each other, Kai is born a moonburner in a land where, if her identity is known, would spell the end for her and all she loves. Her family helps her disguise herself, but such a huge secret can only be kept for so long. Before she reaches her 18th birthday, she is discovered and sent to her death, only to find a Moonburner city, where she learns her true nature. But she also learns a few other things as well - namely, that evil forces on both sides have taken steps that may result in their extinction.

This book, which from its vivid descriptions, place names and character names made me easily imagine a setting akin to feudal Japan. I can honestly say I've never read a YA book that had such an intense aura of Eastern mysticism about it, and that made it all the more enjoyable. There were a few places when the story dragged ever so slightly for me, but these were few and far between. I would definitely recommend this book to lovers of YA.
Good Points
Lovely writing style, loved the Eastern influence on this fantasy world
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account