Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
This book is instantly atmospheric (the photos certainly help!) and the writer maintains the sense of disembodied unreality throughout the narrative. Jacob is a strong character who makes a good narrator, even though I was disappointed that no one else in his life seems to be a match for his strength. I enjoyed the creepy and compelling story of the children who live in the home, and felt on edge as danger closed in.

What keeps this book from getting 5 stars from me is that I couldn't quite understand the mythological set up that allows the most important part of the book to happen. I can't explain more without spoiling the book, but even with my willing suspension of disbelief, I felt like I needed a bit more explanation or to be shown HOW it worked so I could visualize. I also felt like the characters were a bit emotionally distant from me, the reader. However, I think that was more the product of the writer's story-telling style, and not necessarily a fault.

Overall, this is a strange, compelling read that I think readers drawn to dark, atmospheric stories will enjoy.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account