Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Sixteen year old Rowan Areno makes the decision to cut school one Friday and that one choice is the beginning of a downward spiral for her family. One choice after another, made by different people, all lead to devastating consequences and Rowan’s life is shattered.

This book was one of those where it’s so hard to put down because it’s good but it’s also hard to read because it’s so raw. There was no sugar-coating the events that happened or how the characters dealt with them. There’s no easy fix, people you think will be understanding aren’t, everyday things slip from the mind. It’s all too real but it was handled with sensitivity.

Rowan broke my heart. She was a pretty typical sixteen year old who made a typical teenager decision and it completely tore her life apart. Her helplessness and her desperation to understand all the whys to what happened was devastating and I found it impossible not to connect with her.

Eli was really sweet and heartbreaking in his own way. He understood Rowan and what she was going through better than anyone and I really liked how he was woven into the story right from the start. Also, the bond he had with his dog Daisy was very touching.

I really love that this book shows the lead up instead of just starting at Rowan’s father’s suicide. We see Nick’s(Rowan’s father) pain and struggle through Rowan’s eyes, how her friends react, how people judge the family’s choices, how comments from strangers can have a huge effect on someone.

The writing is absolutely beautiful and so is the cover.

I also liked that there were discussion questions included at the back because this is the kind of book that is great for a book club or anyone looking for a good book that can spark a serious discussion.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account