Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I was worried there for a moment. I thought that this wonderful book was stand alone. Fortunately that is not the case! It ended with such a great cliff hanger and so many questions left unanswered and problems left unsolved I would have certainly hated it if it were indeed a standalone. As I said, fortunately it isn't.

Essentially this book would have easily been five stars if not for one fairly important aspect. The plot. I don't mind a slow moving, atmospheric book, in fact I love it. However, I found the plot somewhat confusing early in the book (this might have been because Araby, our protagonists, was kept in the dark for much of the story) and strangely paced. It felt as if it was moving along nicely, then suddenly stopped for a time and then jumpstarted and plowed through the climax in barely fifty pages. Strange pacing, but overall, not too detracting.

The romance renewed my faith in love triangles. At least a little. [SPOILER] I really really really really really hope she ends up with Elliot, it seems like that will be the case in the end, if it happens I will love this romance more than I can describe!!![SPOILER] Both guys are incredible, but I definitely favor one. And it appears that the author does not favor one, at least not as far as the story is concerned. For once I am left uncertain about who the more likely candidate it. Which thrills me to no end, at the beginning of the story it seemed obvious who she would end up with, but by the end...I really hope the author does not take the obvious route.

As usual, I love the atmosphere of the book more than anything. It was compelling and shiver-inducing. A cruel, post-apocalyptic world that is terrifying. Death is mundane and trust and hope nearly obsolete. However, even in this world there is the tiny sliver of light that makes the story compelling and real. I believe this light is found in Elise and Henry. They are adorable and bright children that I just love to pieces.

There were a number of other aspects of the story I loved. Araby was a perfect narrator, and the first person style worked perfectly. I loved her relationships with her parents, April, and our two romantic interests (Elliot and Will) and how they progressed and how she grew. Prince Prospero and Reverend Malcontent were creepily awesome villains. The Debauchery Club fascinating as was world building with the porcelain masks and plague. Plus it is a brilliant reimagining of the Poe story which was fabulous! Overall the book was everything I could want, yet I still felt something was slightly off. I don't know what kept me from loving it as much as I want to, but there is something. I think it might be the cover, surprisingly. Regardless, I should love the book and I do to an extent and can't wait to read the sequel (because there is one!!!)!

Soundtrack: Science and Religion by Hans Zimmer (Angels and Demons Soundtrack)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZMEAfczOi4
Good Points
Characters were strong and unique. Love triangle was well done (for once!). World was atmospherically awesome!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account