Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
When I started reading the book my initial thought was that it was nothing like the summary. But oh well, I typically don’t pay too much attention to summaries anyways. One of my favorite things about the Bloody Mary legend is the different stories that derive from it. I really enjoyed this one and the way Bloody Mary was told. It was interesting bringing in old German fairy tales and quite literally bringing the character alive. I also really liked the way each character was differently affected by this demon. Each one had a unique experience which really brought the story a good twist. The beginning was a bit slow and took a while to get into, but once the story picked up I flew through the book.

I think the four point of views was very successfully done. Books can sometimes get complicating or convoluted when more than two views are introduced but I liked it in this book. Each character had a very distinctive tone and if I couldn’t remember whose chapter I was reading, it was very easy to pick up on the way it was written. I don’t think this story would have been successful in not doing all the views. Each experience was unique and the story would have felt incomplete otherwise.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Overall, Mary, Will I Die? by Shawn Sarles was a good horror read. It’s perfect for the upcoming fall season so if you’re looking for a good book, I’d consider this one. While I appreciated the tone of the book and the take on the Bloody Mary tale, it took a bit to get into. Once I was into the story though, it was hard to put down. The four point of views was successfully done and very important to tell the whole story. If you’re looking for a good horror story that won’t give you too many nightmares, I would recommend this one.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account