Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Long Way Home by Katie McGarry is a spectacular addition to the Thunder Road series and my favorite yet. It's darker and fiercer then ever, a thrilling ride that challenges love, friendship, and where each character's loyalties lie.

What I Loved:

While Nowhere But Here and Walk the Edge can be read as standalone companion novels, Long Way Home's storyline is set up perfectly to match the puzzle pieces left unanswered from the first two books. It's fast-paced and action-packed from page one, and it doesn't dally much with introductions since at this point we are already familiar with the characters.

This book takes readers deeper into the secrets of the Reign of Terror Motorcycle Club and their long time feud with their rival gang--the Riot. The previous books barely scratch the surface of these clubs as they focus more in the blooming relationships between the main characters of each book, and while we do get some romance, it's not its sole focus. For once, both main characters, Violet and Chevy, are inside the Reign of Terror's circle and they are set on finding answers, for their lives are suddenly at stake.

Katie McGarry, so far, has created excellent characters in this series, but I've noticed that she excels in writing fierce women who don't like to sit down and let men protect them or do their job when they can well do it on their own, like Violet. She's a headstrong, independent young woman who demands and deserves respect. Despite her hurt and her personal issues, at the end of the day she's the kind of person whose instinct is to protect those she loves even if she puts herself at risk, and she's hardly recognized for it until now. Even I failed to notice how amazing she's as a character until I reached her point of view in this book. But now I'm glad to say that Violet is my favorite female character from this series.

We also get great male character leads in the Thunder Road series, but unlike Oz and Razor from the first two installments, I like how Chevy is actually a character torn about the paths he wants to take-- either stay with the Reign of Terror or pursue a life outside the club that includes a college career and football. Chevy is a character who does try to weigh in the pros and cons of either life, and while it does have a toll on him as he battles with himself, he is a lot more open minded than the previous main characters of the series.

And while Violet and Chevy already have history between each other and their relationship doesn't give the opportunity to fall in love with them for the first time, it's really hard not to sigh and wish for a love like theirs. Their feelings for each other runs deeper and stronger than newfound love, and it shows other wonderful aspects in a relationship like trust, safety, friendship and forgiveness. Come to think of it, this also applies with their relationships with friends and family members. Most of these relationships are broken due to lack of trust and misunderstandings, but as the novel progresses, most of them have a chance to heal and a second chance at trust.

What Left Me Wanting More:

While I love how The Reign of Terror is a family made out of friends who deeply care for one another, their old century thinking still doesn't sit well with me. They are surrounded by amazing, independent women and yet they don't like to rely on or trust them. This way of thinking has often risked their well-being from their enemies (the Riot), but I guess that's the price to pay when there's inequality (in this kind of environment). However, things seem to be about to change, and I enjoy every time women prove to these old guys how they can be equally badass.

Also, I'm not going to lie, my favorite couple still is Razor and Breanna from Walk the Edge, so I had hopes to read more about them in Long Way Home. Unfortunately, only Razor and Oz make appearances. I still loved having them around and help Chevy and Violet save the day, but it would have been nice to have more young girl power since Violet was mostly alone in this one.

Final Verdict:

Long Way Home is one of the most anticipated YA Contemporary novels of early 2017 and with good reason. Readers won't be disappointed with Violet's and Chevy's story for not only will they fall in love with them, but they will also come one step closer to uncovering all the Reign of Terror secrets. Now to wait for the next book!
Good Points
Hard to put down and a great female MC.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account