Review Detail

4.0 16
Young Adult Fiction 1187
Gorgeous, melancholy story. Read with tissues!
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books

Read the review at iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books!

Why, oh why, Maggie Stiefvater, must you reduce me to nothing but a soggy pile of tears? This book is truly a representation of what my love of books stands for. If someone were to ask for a book recommendation, I would give them this. And a box of tissues. I had a feeling the book would be sad from the beginning. After all, everything seemed a little too perfect. And then Grace started getting sick, which was suspicious. There were moments when I just wanted to slap Sam or Grace for being ignorant to Grace's declining health. I also wanted to slap her parents for being jerks. No, really.

This book introduces to us a new character: Cole St. Clair. I wasn't really sure what to think about Cole at first. Was he good or bad? He was probably as confused as I am. Cole is the leading singer of the boy band NARKOTIKA, but his fame has been hard on him and he's turned to drugs and sex. I disliked him at first, but eventually my heart warmed up to him. Of course, he's not as beautiful as Sam. 

I also warmed up to Isabel. A lot. She's such a complex character, and most of her feelings are hidden under that shell of hers. But she makes me laugh with her sarcasm and makes me cry when she shows she actually has a heart.

As for the Cole and Isabel romance thing, I'm not really sure what I want to happen. I think I do want them to work out. They both deserve happiness. And they seem pretty perfect for each other. The problem is, it'll be hard for them to ever express their feelings for each other. I think. Maybe they'll like each other too much.

Of course, there's the Sam and Grace story. They're going as strong as before, and even though they can finally be together after six long years, they're separated by not magic this time, but a (sometimes) aggravating small factor that's present in everybody's lives: parents. This goes back to why I wanted to slap Grace's parents. Thank you, Maggie Stiefvater, for giving us a perfect example of parental ignorance. Even if it's fictional.

This is a beautiful and mesmerizing sequel to the fantastic Shiver. Ms. Stiefvater has met my expectations and more. Her writing is so lyrical and poetic. I love her style. Forever comes out in July, but it seems like forever to me! Sorry, bad joke.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account