Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Last year, Annabel Greene had everything at least outwardly. She had a best friend named Sophie who is the It girl at school (which, consequently, made Annabel just as popular). She has a modeling career, good grades, a nice house, a good family&but the truth is that now Annabel feels like she has nothing.

Her best friend dropped her very publicly due to a horrible misunderstanding (more on that later), shes tired of modeling but afraid to drop it because of her mother (who sometimes suffers from depression; she needs Annabel to keep modeling more than Annabel needs the jobs because it keeps her active and involved), and her family life is no picnic either. Yes, they are a loving family, but everything is focused on Whitney, her older sister, who is suffering under an eating disorder.

So Annabel just tries to keep up a good front for her family, even though inside shes falling a little bit more apart every day. Then, enter Owen. As an aside, just let me say that, of all the male characters Ive read about recently, Owen is one of the only ones Id really love to meet.

Owen has some issues of his own, but hes got his head (mostly) in the right place. And most importantly, Owen doesnt keep anything back. Hes completely honest. Yes, you read that right. If you ask him if you look fat in that outfit, and you do, hell tell you. He encourages Annabel to look at life differently and think that maybe, just maybe, she should speak up.

But lets get back to why Annabels life went downhill in the first place. Sophies boyfriend, Will Cash, had tried to rape Annabel at a party at the end of last year. Sophie had (luckily, in a way) walked in and interrupted things, but had assumed that Annabel was trying to seduce Will (Will, of course, backed this up). Completely ostracized after Sophies publicly calling her out, Annabel hasnt told anyone the truth of what really happened.

Then Will attacks Emily, who just barely manages to escape. Sophie again blames her but Emily does the unthinkable. She goes to the police. Annabel is floored. I dont think it had ever even occurred to her to do such a thing.

Will Annabel come forward? Will she repair the rift that has come between her and Owen (over her not being able to really tell him what Will has been bothering her)? Will she make amends with past friends? Will her family come together again or break further apart?

As with other Dessen novels, Just Listen is a strong, emotional story. It will make you cry in places (if youre anything like me) and it will stay with you for days afterwards, your mind drifting back to a scene or two. Highly recommended for readers aged 12 and up, especially for girls. And how about girls and their mothers? This would make an excellent joint read. I really enjoyed this one, and I think you will too.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account