Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
If I had to describe Interred in a single word, it'd be original. I can honestly say I've never read anything like this before. It took the not-often-used idea of controlling time, sprinkle it with a bunch of new ideas, and voila, you've got this wonderful story blooming out of it.

Honestly, the plotline of the story was a little generic, but guess what? I loved reading it anyways. I loved the seemingly average girl who suddenly finds out she has a power she can barely comprehend, and must go off to hone those skills. I liked reading about the two boys and comparing them. I wanted to feel like one of the Interred who must train to master their powers. In this case, the generic idea worked quite well.

While it took me a while to get acquainted with the different characters, I, in the beginning, could still see the uniqueness of each one of them, and loved being tugged along by their personalities, watching them go their different paths.

The writing style of Interred wasn't perfect, but Marilyn Almodóvar managed to make me smile with little references to pop culture, and made Baxter a little bit more believable as a character. At times, Baxter's inner monologue did grate a bit on my nerves, but I liked her spunk. *fistbumps* Torn from her home? Not a problem. Has to somehow wrap her head around the fact that she has this super-cool ability? Easy as pie.

And there's the inevitable love-triangle. I don't mind them. Really. The problem here actually didn't lie with either of the boys, but Baxter. She was quite a bit clueless at times, feeling surprise when one of them *cough cough Declan* felt jealous of the other. Which, to me, was a little awkward when you know that he'd be weird for not being jealous of the particular thing.

Declan was a bit of a jerk upon their initial meeting. Big no-no. But afterwards, he received the boyfriend-approval stamp by just simply being good. Jack, however, I didn't feel a spark from. He was . . . less, somehow. Less noticeable. Less presence. Besides, the synopsis was a bit misleading. I expected to find someone dripping with chivalry to counter Declan's personality, but I didn't find him any more charming than Declan. And then came this total gamechanger that made me see both of them in a different light. Dear Ms. Almodóvar, do you have a thing for messing with my emotions? Because you just did it in the best way possible.

While Interred didn't blow me away, I still loved reading it, and am very glad to have been chosen to be part of this blog tour. Want a fairly quick, unique read to pass your time? I present to you Interred, and will be looking forward to reading Almodóvar's future releases.

Originally posted at http://lustforstories.blogspot.com/2013/01/review-interred-by-marilyn-almodovar.html
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account