Review Detail

In Every Generation
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I love Kendare Blake. I love Buffy. So combine the two and it's an automatic win, right? In this case, yes and no. But first, HOLY NOSTALGIA. I knew this took place in the Buffyverse but I didn't realize it was legit the Buffyverse. I guess I kind of forget that Buffy and the crew are just a little older than I am but I enjoyed it, a lot. For someone like me, who grew up with the show - all of the feelings came flooding back. It made me want to rewatch the show asap. But that's where it about ended for me. I do think this was a solid book. With a new gang while the older one guide them through. But if it wasn't for those original main characters, I don't know how much I would have liked this book. And for those who don't have that connection to the original, I don't know how much they will like it. The story overall is simple, but it works. It keeps the mind going and I enjoyed the little bit of history that was thrown in there as well.

The new characters were okay. Frankie was a good protagonist and I honestly loved how she struggled. Growing up with Buffy and then having to become her? Not easy, and Frankie definitely did not adapt well. But this is what is to be expected and I'm glad it was shown that way, her failures but also her wins. Jake was a fantastic character. He definitely was the little bit of comic relief when his werewolf side shown through. Hailey was a good character as well but very one track minded. I felt like she was supposed to be the smart and rationale one but if it had anything to do with her sister, all reasoning was gone.

Overall, In Every Generation by Kendare Blake was good. Blake did an amazing job in recreating the Buffyverse world and all of those feelings. Drawing on those nostalgic strings to help us older readers push through. I do think it's a good introduction for new fans as well. I don't think they'll get the same reaction but this is a whole new gang. I do recommend this book if you are a fan of Buffy or simply vampires and chosen one tropes in general!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account