Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Think of a darker THIRTEEN REASONS WHY. In this case Cody blames herself for the suicide of her BFF. After finding a troubling email that hints that there might have been something more sinister behind the death, she sets out to find out the truth. What she finds is troubling and makes you see the darker side of social media.

What worked: This is a raw and honest portrayal of not only suicide but how it affects, in this case, the BFF.

Cody's questions on how she didn't see that her friend was hurting are shown in a realistic light. But what is really haunting has to be the idea that maybe someone encouraged her friend to kill herself. I thought of a recent court case of a teen girl who did this very thing by encouraging and also helping to plan the suicide of her boyfriend.

There's more to this book that just suicide. It's the journey that Cody has to take not only to find the truth behind her friend's death but to come to peace with what happened. She travels to Meg's college apartment and meets up with some quirky characters, some who help her solve the mystery.

This story is darker than other Forman stories but an important one that I felt needs to be shared. The topic of suicide has often been avoided or shunned. Forman shows us a character that traces the hidden path to not only find out what might have been the trigger point for her friend but also finds more about herself.

Powerful, haunting tale of a friend that searches for not only the truth behind her friend's suicide but the path of healing. Fans of Jay Asher's book THIRTEEN REASONS WHY will also want to read this story. Also a great possible book club selection book.
Good Points
1. Raw and honest portrayal of how suicide affects those left behind
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account