N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by The Fable Fairy

Witches? Check. School for paranormal beings? Check. Mean clique? Check. Hot boy? Check. Must I go on? Obviously deciding to read Hex Hall was a no brainer. Especially since any book that has the slight resemblance to Harry Potter will have me frothing at the mouth. 

Hex Hall is not a book I would recommend if you are looking for a thrilling read that will keep you up well into the night. It's more of a book that you would grab on a rainy Saturday afternoon to pass the time. With it's decent size text and the diction used, this book was a quick and fun read. 

My favorite part of this little number, besides the cover, would have to be Sophie's dialogue with the other characters as well as her own thoughts. Many of the things she says and thinks are ozzing with wit and sarcasm. Hawkins had my laughing out loud. No, seriously. Laughing. Out. Loud. 

I also enjoy how the Hawkins never made Sophie this uber perfect character who automatically fell into the swing of things once she arrived at Hex Hall. Sophie makes countless mistakes from doing and saying the wrong things. It's her ignorance that makes her such a lovable character. 

However, no one was as lovable as Jenna. I felt more drawn to her in that she is her own person. She sticks out like a sore thumb at Hex Hall and embraces her differences rather than attempting to fall into step with the rest of the crowd. Jenna was her own person, who enjoyed her own things, and wore and said what she liked. Yes, she did have inner conflicts like everyone else but she was much better at hiding her distress from others. 

As I have said before, the novel wasn't anything special. It had it's moments and there was some mystery involved but nothing that had me jumping in anticipation. Although, I am thinking that Demonglass will be far better at stirring up my emotional pot because the ending of Hex Hall left so many unanswered questions. 
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account